Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temporary XP boost
I would like to ask the opinion of the community about an XP bonus system I have came across in severel MMORPGs (mb even L2 had in later chronicles) and has many advantages.

It is about giving each and every character a limited time of XP boost per day. Let's say you get 30% extra for the first hour you play (those values for time interval and XP boost rate are ofc just an example). The point is that it could help to erase the difference between casuals and nolifers. It would help a lot those players who only play a limited amount every day (30% boost for 1h/day players), but would make little to no difference for players spending 8h+ farming (less then 4% boost at all).
It's also something that could help maintaining players number. (At least for me - and I believe for other ppl as well - it feels like an urge not to let that bonus go in vain, therefore I log in for that one hour even when I don't really feel like playing at all)

This suggestion only goes for XP (and mb SP), I wouldnt go for increasing any other stat with this method.

From server side I think it wouldn't take much effort to add an expiring exp rune for characters for the first login every day.

What's your opinion on this?
+1

but not gonna happen
It's LMNOP not i-mnop!
Sounds like vitality system, which being feature in newer chronicles barely impacted XP gains for longer runs. This formula somehow helped at beginning stage of the game but had no meaning on higher lvls.

Easier solution helping soloers/casuals playing few hrs a day is to slightly boost exp/sp(~5%) for hunting without party. This would only serve starters since higher level locations are usually farmed in a parties, where promoting "Party Matching" could come in handy.
Kieyra Bowborn of the House Proland, First of Her Name, the Uncaught, Queen of the Moonlight Sentinels and the First Archers, Empress of the Disciples, Breaker of Winds, and Mother of Outlaws.
(04-08-2019, 01:21 PM)Kieyra Wrote:
You are not allowed to view links.Register or Login to view.
Sounds like vitality system, which being feature in newer chronicles barely impacted XP gains for longer runs. This formula somehow helped at beginning stage of the game but had no meaning on higher lvls.

Easier solution helping soloers/casuals playing few hrs a day is to slightly boost exp/sp(~5%) for hunting without party. This would only serve starters since higher level locations are usually farmed in a parties, where promoting "Party Matching" could come in handy.

For 1st part: It's not meant to make huge impact on XP gain. It's something to give you motivation to play every day, and some help to slightly decrease the gap between casuals and nolifers.

For 2nd part: 
You say that giving 5% contantly would help more. Comparing it to the 30%/1h system: both would give an equal bonus if someone would play exactly 6 hours. Below that my suggestion would give bigger help, above 6h yours. Meaning your suggestion would again boost nolifers. Plus that would give no motivation for ppl to log in every day, cauze they would have that extra anytime they login and go solo. That's exactly the opposite of what my intention with this suggestion is. 
(04-08-2019, 01:41 PM)Lulow Wrote:
For 2nd part: 
You say that giving 5% contantly would help more. Comparing it to the 30%/1h system: both would give an equal bonus if someone would play exactly 6 hours. Below that my suggestion would give bigger help, above 6h yours. Meaning your suggestion would again boost nolifers. Plus that would give no motivation for ppl to log in every day, cauze they would have that extra anytime they login and go solo. That's exactly the opposite of what my intention with this suggestion is. 

While working on a project and thinking of an upgrade, you must estimate how much extra time it will take and how many resources could be consumed and affected during execution. Certainly, it's easier to tweak "out of party exp/sp gain" rather than programming whole bunch of noise risking more bugs etc.

Your solution would not be that complicated for strong developer if L2 wasn't programmed the way it is. Don't get me wrong - idea is not bad, which is why NCS used something very similar in future L2 expansions.

OOT: While we discuss extras, there is no workbench.

(01-24-2019, 12:25 AM)Alyx Wrote:
[1:12 PM] ChinaTown: In other words, Dawn 2 may launch prior AND no later than May, 2019

Would be good to see initial beta being launched first, which than could be polished. Judging by recent statement "there is no official launch date" followed with dead silence - no offence - I doubt given word will be kept. If post above is not true anymore, we should be told about it immediately. It's trust and credibility that is at stake here.
Kieyra Bowborn of the House Proland, First of Her Name, the Uncaught, Queen of the Moonlight Sentinels and the First Archers, Empress of the Disciples, Breaker of Winds, and Mother of Outlaws.
Personally, I am against any permanent bonus be it for solo hunting without party, donatable runes etc etc.

On the other side, original Vitality system from later L2 chronicles will just help only real casuals to shorten the leveling speed gap between real casuals and nolifers. IIRC full Vitality was refilled after 3 day of offline inactivity, so it greatly helps only those which do not play each day - real casuals which play only for ~1 hour each 3 days. I am not against that, however there is another question: if Chinatown will bother himself with implementing Vitality system scripts into Dawn 2.0.

TLDR: "NO" to any permanent bonus to anything.
I do not mind original L2 Vitality system